Thursday, December 07, 2017

Bert's Shirt Shop

This appears to be a comics about a woman shopping for a shirt. However, as you read, you find that the dialogue is strangely poetic. Wouldn't you love to hear two people act this nonsense out? Good luck finding anyone who can read it out loud and not trip over the words. This is a non-obvious tongue twister disguised as a comic. I spent the biggest part of my adult life reading advertising voiceovers, and can see myself having to do this one over and over before getting through it without hesitation. Try it yourself. This is from Alex Culang and Raynato Castro at Buttersafe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If people can sing 'patter songs' like Geoff Mack's "I've Been Everywhere" or Gilbert and Sullivan's "Modern Major General" (or Tom Lehrer's version using the Periodic Table for the lyrics), or deliver Hugo Weaving's soliloquy from "V for Vendetta" (the one that begins, "VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain ..."), then it shouldn't be any more difficult to perform this.

Anonymous said...

I smell a rap!

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, this was lovely to read silently and out loud. I shared it with my logophilic friends on Facebook, and it delighted many! Thank you for sharing!

Miss Cellania said...

Thank YOU, Anonymous! It's comments like this that keep me going. Otherwise, I'd never know if anyone liked any of my posts.