Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Teens React to Mean Girls 10th Anniversary



Mean Girls is only ten years old? I thought it was much older than that. But I recall when it came out, that I meant to watch it because I love Tina Fey. But I didn’t get around to it. Then when my daughters hit middle school, I made a point to watch Mean Girls with them, because I trust Tina Fey. Now the movie is ten years old, and these teenagers think that’s, like, ancient. But it has a universal message that’s still as relevant now as it was then -or even forty years ago when I was in high school. My message to my daughters was “Don’t ever be a mean girl,” although I suspected that they would more likely need a defense against mean girls, which first comes with understanding what is happening. I know from experience how such dishonesty, manipulation, and head games can mess with your adolescent years.

Mean Girls should be required viewing for every middle school student, and the book it is based on should be required reading for parents. Besides, if you’re not in the midst of dealing with teen angst, it’s hilarious. (via Viral Viral Videos)

No comments: