Monday, July 19, 2010

Good Reads and Information

The Top Ten Female Assassins. That's about nine more than I could've come up with off the top of my head.

Whatever happened to the box-office bomb? Thanks to home video and overseas revenues, even bad movies will make money if you give them enough time.

The New Abortion Providers. How abortion was pushed out of medical schools and hospitals for decades, and how it is returning to regular medical training and care. (via Metafilter)

Firewalking
for Personal Growth or Burnt Feet? If my boss requested me to walk on hot coals as a team-building exercise, I think I'd reconsider my place of employment.

10 Mind-Boggling Psychiatric Treatments. During certain parts of our history, you'd have to be crazy to let anyone know you were mentally ill.

Sperm is so useful that the gene responsible for it hasn't changed in 600 million years. It's still found in sea anemones, insects, worms, and others of our close relatives.

The Fayum portraits are up to 2,000 years old, yet they were preserved so well that they appear to be recently painted. They give us a look at ancient Egypt that their mummies can't give us. (via Metafilter)

It's sad to see how much edible food grocery stores toss out every day, but freegans are doing something about it. When your name is Ginger Freebird, dumpster-diving might just come naturally.

No comments: