Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lotsa Links

Someone suggested I get cable internet, since the phone wiring in the house is falling apart. Sounds good, but they cannot schedule an installer while I am available, so I got a self-install kit. I got the modem kit out and connected it no problem, that doesn't even need instructions. I took up a ton of phone wire, to add a ton of cable. The worst part was not moving the furniture, but fitting my fingers into the stupid space on the back of the VCR... oh well.

Inserted the install disc. It said I would have to download internet explorer 5 before continuing. How am I supposed to do that, with no internet connection?? OK, after a while, I found a copy of IE5 in my files. Installed it. Opened it. The same message kept coming up, try again after you install IE5.

So I try to find a tech supprt number. None. Anywhere. On ANY of the paperwork. Called 800 directory assistance. The first try, they gave me a number that refused my call. Second attempt, I got a California number. After sitting through ten minutes of their automated service, i got a real person who told me I had the wrong number, call this other one. OK. Another ten minute wait. Their automated system actually gave me a choice of Mac suppot! But when I selected that, I got an endless loop of gobbledygook.

OK I admitted defeat, and got the phone line and the phone modem back out and hooked it all up. The connection woulf not let me into Yahoo because Charter hadn't configured me yet. But LO, it wanted to help me configure NOW. OK, lets try that. Several steps later, "ERROR call the local Charter office." HA! The local Charter office does not take incoming calls, it hasn't for years, and those ladies don't know internet installation from Shinola. And of course, no other numbers nationwide will will help me.

So I disconnected the cable modem, and am back with the DSL for now. I will try to have someone come and install this for me. It will most likely cost an arm and a leg and will be three weeks from now, but I can deal with that.

Next day: After three phone calls to various numbers that didn’t work the night before, I got to place I needed. The recording told me their business hours were 8AM to 5PM, please call back then. And he hung up. What? Its 9:30AM!

I called much later, and have an appointment for an installer to come, a week and a half from nw because they had a time scheduling around my work hours. It will cost me $49. That this is worth it to me just shows you how bad my current DSL service is.

Arbroath is looking for the world’s oldest blogger. Golden Lucy is the inspiration for the search. I think she’s lying about her age, anyway. She's younger than she says! Dad's Tomato Garden is in the lead.

How well do you know the Geneva Convention? This game from the Red Cross will evaluate your skills as a POW camp administrator.

Ed’s computer has taken on a life of it’s own (kinda like HAL) and it created its own blog!

The Pop Culture Translator.

Jacek’s got a new “serious” blog. Thats in addition to his not-so-serious blog, his meet-girls blog, and his evil blog. I think he inspired THIS.

Just to drive you crazy.

The trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. (Thanks, Kirby!)

The Superman Returns trailer.

The Seven Deadly Social Sins. This should be required reading. (via the Presurfer)

Submit your sad things to The Saddest Thing I Own.






HISTORY LESSON
(Thanks, Wendy!)

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as

Sinko de Mayo.

The Logitech Webcam
. http://snipurl.com/q1y5 It doesn’t tell us where to buy one.


Google SketchUp
(free) is an easy-to-learn 3D modeling program that enables you to explore the world in 3D. With just a few simple tools, you can create 3D models of houses, sheds, decks, home additions, woodworking projects - even space ships.

Color Box was fun. To play, you combine colors to make other colors. The strategy is to make them white for points. You’ll have to read the directions.

Did you see this car run a red light? Don’t blink, or you’ll miss it.

Improv Everywhere goes to Best Buy.

MISSING PERSONS REPORT

A wife went to the police station with her next-door neighbor to report that her husband was missing. The policeman asked for a description. She said, "He's 35 years old, 6 foot 4, has dark eyes, dark wavy hair, an athletic build, weighs 185 pounds, is soft-spoken, and is good to the children."

The next-door neighbor protested, "Your husband is 5 foot 4, chubby, bald, has a big mouth, and is mean to your children."
The wife replied, "Yes, but who wants HIM back?"

In case you are one of the few left on the net who haven’t seen it, here is Steven Colbert at the White House Correspondents dinner.

Lists of things to do before I die, from all over.

Giving weightlifting a whole new meaning.

A sermon. On sex. Parts may be somewhat offensive, but y'all can handle it. Not for kids. This is funny.


Thought for today: Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the webcam! Thanks!

Karen said...

That picture is a hoot! Thanks for the giggles!

Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Yeah, I hadn't seen all of Colbert's performance at the White House Correspondent's dinner. Thanks. Very funny, and very uncomfortable, no doubt, for George War Bush. Most importantly, there were some gorgeous women in the audience (who was that pretty blonde chick around 3:50 into the video?) Great post today. I continue to be amazed at all the cool and unique stuff out there on the internet.

Webmiztris said...

that car running the red light cracked me up!

Webmiztris said...

that car running the red light cracked me up!

Anonymous said...

Sinko de Mayo ?

That's great, I love that.

And your story about trying to hook up cable was funny too. But in a sad way. Sort of. I laughed with you.Coz you were laughing.

Right ?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The ski picture and the hospital is good Here, we have a funeral parlour next to the hospital.

craziequeen said...

Yum - Johnny Depp :-) :-) Thank you, Miss Cellania!

The links thing on blogs is a quick way of identifying blogs to visit that do the same things; like Thursday Thirteens, Wordless Wednesdays, Monday Memories etc.......

oh, that reminds me - my Thursday Thirteen is up!

cq

Miss Cellania said...

OK y'all, my brother sent me the link for the webcam. http://snipurl.com/q1nh I don't know why he didn't just leave a comment.

Old Guy, I was crying when I wrote that, adn laughing when I read it back.

Capt. Picard, that shoul make things really convenient (and patients nervous).

Crazy Queen, glad to see you here!