Saturday, May 06, 2006

Location, location, location

All the sudden I have found myself “between jobs”, or as most would say “unemployed”. I prefer the term “opportunisticly blessed”. I just made that up. But it applies. I can pack up and go anywhere, since I don’t have a mortgage. My family is portable. The property I own lost most of its charm when the neighborhood lost most of its trees. I feel ready for a change of location.

Where to go? I am open for suggestions. I do have a few requirements. The city I move to must have:
1. Job opportunities in the media. I’ve been on air for more than half my life now, so it would be difficult to start over in a new field.
2. Racial diversity. My children are Asian.
3. A college or university nearby. That always seems to improve the attraction of a place for me. I like to be around people who are smarter than I am.
4. Cultural opportunities. I deserve that. So do my kids.
5. A cost of living lower than New York or California. No matter where I go, it will be higher than it is here, but I cannot go from one extreme to the other.
6. No flat land. I’m a hillbilly. The horizon gives me headaches.

I took an online test to see which city I should live in.

You Belong in London

A little old fashioned, and a little modern.
A little traditional, and a little bit punk rock.
A unique woman like you needs a city that offers everything.
No wonder you and London will get along so well.




Then I took another test called Find Your Spot. (Lifted from Kentucky Girl) Here are my personal results.

Portland, Oregon
Little Rock, Arkansas
Hartford, Connecticut
Honolulu, Hawaii
Baltimore, Maryland
Las Vegas, Nevada
New Haven, Connecticut
Washington, District of Columbia
Providence, Rhode Island
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Worcester, Massachusetts
Medford, Oregon
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sacramento, California
Fayetteville, Arkansas
San Jose, California
Charleston, West Virginia
Boston, Massachusetts
San Francisco, California
Frederick, Maryland
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Salem, Oregon








Video: Americans try geography. (Thanks, Prydwen!)

My nine-year-old can tell you any of the US state capitals. I can, too, after I helped her study for the geography bee... which she WON. These games and quizzes are the BEST study aid for that sort of thing.

Mapping religion in America. Can you spot the Bible Belt? I knew you could. Read all about it and see more maps at Regions of Mind.

Cities ranked for safety and quality of life. For some reason, Baghdad is in the basement.

Maps of Canada, including the Erotic Map and the National Beer Map. (Thanks, Nerdine!)



THE GEOGRAPHY EXAM
Some of the better answers.

What people live in the Po Valley? Po people.

The Alimentary Canal is located in the northern part of Indiana.

Georgia was founded by people who had been executed.

What is the sound west of the State of Washington? The sound of the ocean.

Floods from the Mississippi may be prevented by putting big dames in the river.

Denver is just below the 'a' in Colorado.

They don't raise anything in Kansas but Alpaca grass, and they have to irritate that to make it grow.

The value of latitude and longitude is that when a man is drowning he can call out what latitude and longitude he is and we can find him.

The chief product of the Hawaiian Islands is rainfall.

The state flower of Colorado is the concubine.

Chicago is nearly at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

A mountain range is a cooking stove used at high altitudes.

You Passed 8th Grade Geography

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!



Thought for today: Wherever you go, there you are.

Suggested so far:
Madison, Wisconsin (several votes)
Raleigh, North Carolina (sounds good)
Blightly, England (where?)
London, England (they would love MY accent!)
Austin, Texas (seems like an odd fit)
Denver, Colorado (got friends there)
Albuquerque, New Mexico (got friends there, too)
Portland, Oregon (thats a long way away)
Seattle, Washington (ditto)
San Francisco, CA (love it, just too expensive)
Little Rock, Arkansas (I'd fit right in)



20 comments:

Evil Minx said...

Hi Miss Cellania

Cool name, cool blog. Thanks for stopping by the Minxdom. You're welcome there anytime.

And yes, it was a true story.

If the survey says you belong in London, I say go there. I'm originally from there, and it's a wonderful place. And everyone speaks with British accents. How could you possibly resist? ( ;-) I've yet to meet someone from the States who doesn't melt at the sound of a Brit speaking..!)

Minxy xxxx

Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Raleigh has often shown up on surveys of the best places to live. One year I think it was even #1 (Money magazine?) It's kinda hot here, especially in July and August. These are times when I would rather be in San Francisco, personally. We have Universities, libraries, flea markets (even one hispanic flea market) malls galore, traffic, culture I guess. There is an annual International Festival, a Greek festival, and Indian festival. Also, Cary, a nearby town has a significant Indian population. Several Indian restaurants nearby, plus Lebanese, plus Whole Foods. Museums. There is an annual State Fair here in October. Lots of stuff for kids to do, like art instruction, etc. We are two hours from the beach and about three or four hours to the mountains. Oh, and we get a new lottery starting May 30. I don't know about jobs in the media. This is the Research Triangle, so there are lots of jobs in science, etc. Also, my impression is that things here are not too expensive. Good luck location looking.

Wulfweard The White said...

Come to Blighty. Sussex has the South Downs (very hilly) Brighton has a good University, The weather is good for most of the year, Brighton is very diverse and there are lots of job in media in the South of England.

Carlos said...

Austin's nice. Great diversity, UT, hills, green, culture, music, arts. Not sure about media jobs, but I love it.

goldenlucyd said...

Darling Miss C,
How I enjoy your site. Always something to make me smile and think (yes, I can do them at the same time!)
I'm impressed with your analysis of the your current living and employment situation. Looking at your criterium I'd suggest the Rocky Mountains unless you really love humidity and bugs. Colorado in partticular is lovely, liveable and affordable. The people are down-to-earth and friendly and there are many employment and cultural opportunities.

Like animals I never imagined I'd like the West. But I do. Just a thought. CO would be very lucky to "get" you!
Very best of luck and thanks so much for the link!
lucyd
PS I've also heard lots of good things about Austin.

Kate said...

Too bad you can't do California (no-one from outside California can do California these days, sigh), because SF would be great. I personally am fond of anything west of I-25. Denver, Albuquerque, Portland, Seattle? They all have mountains. Congrats on the dotter winning the geography bee!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Glad to be on your Friend Mp and your Group map.

Anonymous said...

I was going to express shock and awe that Raleigh hadn't made the list, but see that it finally did. It sounds a perfect match for your requirements. And then some.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Madison WI is a good place.. i can't remember where i heard it tho.

Wow -- with what your blog is worth -- maybe you could jutt build a new city -- name it Miss C. -- you pick the state..

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Madison WI is a good place.. i can't remember where i heard it tho.

Wow -- with what your blog is worth -- maybe you could jutt build a new city -- name it Miss C. -- you pick the state..

Frontier Editor said...

Awwwww! Was it that worthless pseudo-patriotic boss of yours?

Come on down to Southwest Virginia and start a media empire so I can beg for a job working for you!

Anonymous said...

That flat requirement pretty much excludes Florida then, which is shame, because Florida is the best place to live. Even if you are under 50 y-o.

jules said...

YEAH!!!! I FINALLY got in!

Saur♥Kraut said...

How cool are YOU? You sound marvellously eclectic. We have a lot in common, actually. Anyway, I'd recommend Cali if you don't like flatlands.

Carol Anne said...

Hey, Madison would be a good place. It would fit your politics well, and be near those of us in MN and WI. I would heartily recommend good ol' St. Paul. Kids would fit, we have media, it's not flat, tons of colleges, and you'd be near the MOA and us Rats. The only drawback for someone from a warmer climate is that it gets cold and snowy here -- when it does finally decide to get cold and snowy. Seems like Global Warming has gotten rid of our 18 + inch snowfalls and -30 degree winter days.

Just a thought.

Annie said...

I'm speaking up for Arkansas here. Fayetteville and Little Rock both meet your requirements. I bet folks here would embrace you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you should move to the GREAT NORTHWEST!

I live in the Seattle area and *LOVE* it here. I also hear that the job market is pretty good.

Also? Lots of Asian cultural experiences to be had.

Sending you good vibes, my dear!

Erudite Redneck said...

Hey, Miss C., I think you'd fit better in Fayetteville, Ark., than Little Rock.

Ozarks. College town. It's booming, though ...

Anonymous said...

Hiya Miss Cellania
Love your blog, found out about you on widownet, I'm also a member of the club nobody wants to belong to. Naperville, Illinois nice city, 30 miles from Chicago, lots of culture , art, museums, etc. etc., good job location, very diverse, several local schools, North Central is right in town, Wheaton college right down the road, some really good schools in Chicago also,downtown is beautiful in the summer, it just gets a little chilly in the winter. c ya
doogaman

Carl said...

If you moved to New Haven, you can date me. That ought to be better incentive than a few million bucks...